Friday, February 25, 2011

Water Apples Everywhere



Apparently the Water Apples (or Manzana de Agua) are in season now on the Caribbean Coast of Costa Rica where we live. The trees in our neighborhood are upwards of 35 feet high and just loaded with these popular fruits. The deep green leaves and bright red fruit make a striking contrast. I had some difficulty getting information on them (even from my reliable "wiki" source). I did find out there are also called a Mountain Apple or Wax Jambu (and scientifically Syzygium malaccense or Myrtaceae) All I know is they are everywhere - the fruit vendors have bushels full and the ground is covered with them. The taste is similar to an American-style apple but a bit more juicy and not as sweet. I've been chopping them up, adding cinnamon and putting them in oatmeal and have also had them served like a chunky applesauce. I just love being able to find edible fruits in the wilds.

One photo shows the water apples under the tree next door to us and the other gives you an idea of the size and shape.

No comments: