Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Aspiring Beachcomber.

Be honest, who hasn’t aspired to be a beachcomber at some point in their lives. I could credit growing up on Long Island Sound or possibly my fascination with old Gidget movies. Whatever the source, it is an aspiration that has stuck with me. Perhaps because the requirements are simple. Location. Check. I am living on the Caribbean Coast of Costa Rica with access to miles and miles of tropical beaches. Free time. Check. Retired. No schedule to keep, except perhaps “Taco Tuesday” at Tasty Waves Beach Cantina.  Coconuts. Check. Coconut water, milk, meat. Coconut crusted everything. Coconut oil. Coconut carvings. And lastly, Sea shells to collect. Well, believe it or not, there are not many shells on the beaches. Miles of smooth black, white and golden yellow sand beaches, but not many rocks or shells. Great for swimming, not so great for collecting. Each morning I’d go out and walk along the beach to see what I could discover. My favorite finds have been sea urchin shells. Usually 3 or 4 a day is all I would come across. You can imagine my surprise yesterday morning when I came upon hundreds of sea urchin shells that had washed ashore. I have cleaned them all and already begun to string some to hang on the porch. Something every good beachcomber would do. I think I will be successful in my new endeavor.

No comments: