Friday, April 25, 2008

Just add water...



People here have told me how easy it is to grow just about anything but I guess I never really appreciated what they were saying…until I saw it for myself. One of the plants in our front yard is a gardenia tree that is about 8-9’ high. The trunk and branches are smooth and leaf-less with clusters of green leaves and beautiful fragrant white flowers at the tops of each branch. One day we found a small “y-shaped” branch and a second single branch – each about 12 inches long on the ground. There were no roots and no green on either – just broken off branches from the mother tree. Rather than throw them out we decided to just stick them in the ground and see what happens. In less than 3 weeks both branches had taken root and sprouted green leaves and continue to grow and flourish. Photos show the mother tree and the branches at about 3 weeks old.

No comments: