Saturday, May 29, 2010

On my way to San Jose


On Monday I had planned to leave for San Jose to meet Gordie's arriving flight from the US. I was able to purchase a ticket for the 11 AM direct bus in Puerto Viejo a few days in advance - quite a bargain at less than $10 for a 4-1/2 hour ride. Shutters closed, bag packed and off I went to walk down to the bus stop. I really love the walk down our road. It's peaceful, lush green, birds and animals chirping and whistling along the way. Great way to start another pleasant day. About half way down the road I came upon a neighbor and her daughter. We continued walking as we exchanged "bueana dias" and "como estas." As I turned to face forward I realized I was on a collison course with a young boy on a bicycle. Before I knew it I was flying over the top of his bike and heading straight for the road below. My face hit the dirt and the blood started rushing down. I will leave the gory details to your imagination to focus instead of the outcome. The mom called her brother, a taxi driver, who was there in nothing flat. They took me down to the clinic where I was rushed right in to the doctor. No one asked my name. No one asked about my insurance. The only question I was asked was about existing conditions that might affect my treatment. The nurse came and cleaned my would. The doctor, who spoke perfect English, came in and stitched me up. After I was patched up I was sent out to fill out paperwork. I showed them my passport and asked if I couldn't come back on Wednesday as I was trying to catch the bus to San Jose. No problem. My new taxi driver friend had waited for me and drove me to Puerto Viejo - for free - so I would catch the bus on time. Believe it or not, this whole ordeal, from accident to delivery at the bus stop took only 45 minutes. I made it to San Jose on time. Gordie arrived, 2 hours, using a cane. What a great couple we make!

By the way, I did go back on Wednesday to finish the paperwork and get my perscriptions. The total bill was about $60 usd, which included the emergency room, doctor, 7 stitches, 2 perscriptions (an antibiotic and a pain pill) and the follow up visit for removing the stitches. At least accidents are affordable here.

No comments: