Saturday, March 19, 2011

Frog heaven




Think “Costa Rica” and “Rainforest.” What image comes to your mind? If you are like most people you are probably picturing one of those crazy-looking green frogs with red eyes. Suitably called the Red-eyed Tree Frog, this brightly colored amphibian is one of more than 100 types of frogs in Costa Rica. They have three eyelids, sticky feet and spend most of their lives in trees. They tend to stay camouflaged during the day by shutting their eyes and tucking in their brightly colored appendages. And, in my personal experience, they are hard to photograph (see photo). This one was at a friend’s house, at night, on a “former tree” (that currently serves as a support column).

Another easily identifiable amphibian is the Poison Dart Frog. In a previous post I wrote about the tiny Red Poison Dart Frogs often found in bromeliads. There are also an abundance of Green and Black Poison Dart Frogs (see photo of one we found under a tree in our yard). Adorable to humans they can be deadly to their predators by secreting toxins from their skin.

I am still not sure what kind of frog is in the last photo but I can testify that he was a good jumper. I was sitting quietly on the couch one evening when there was a sudden “thud” next to me. There I was face-to-face with this guy! For me, being so up close and personal with nature is a major attraction to living here.

No comments: