Thursday, March 3, 2011

Why try Cas? Because.


Because it grows on a tree in our yard. And it grows in our neighbor’s yard. And it grows on trees along our road. And it has a distinctive aroma that‘s hard to miss. And it is very, very popular in Costa Rica. So, of course, we’re going to try it.

Psidium friedrichsthalium is a sour guava. In Costa Rica, it is known as Cas, and, when mixed with sugar and water, is a popular, refreshing drink. I have read that cream is sometimes added but have not personally seen or tried that version.

When I prepare Cas for drinking, I remove and discard the large seeds and pulp from the middle of the fruit and put the rest of the fruit, including skin, in a blender on “liquefy.” (Note: I received the directions on how to prepare Cas in Spanish from a neighbor so it is anybody’s guess if I am doing it right). I think it tastes a great deal like a grapefruit but with the texture of applesauce. It definitely tastes like it is good for you. I am sure that there are people who eat Cas like a fruit, but to be honest, I have always seen it end up in a drink. I like it and I can particularly recommend mixing Cas with vodka.

No comments: